History of Sigma Tau Delta
In 1924 Sigma Tau Delta was formed, an outgrowth of the Dakota Wesleyan English Club. Judson Q. Owen, its sponsor, our founder, established the purpose, the insignia, the Greek letters, and the English words (Sincerity, Truth, Design) assigned to them, and the colors cardinal and black. He announced on May 28, 1924, that the Society was national, English departments in several universities having formed chapters. Professor Owen became the first executive secretary and editor of the Society's literary magazine, The Rectangle, positions he held until his death in 1969.
P.C. Somerville served as president from 1924 until 1931. In 1931, Dr. Frederick Fadner became president, holding that title until 1954. Dr. Herbert L. Hughes succeeded him in 1954, serving until the Society reorganized in 1970. That vigorous reorganization in 1970 resulted in a revised Constitution, an expanded national board, and a scheduling of national conventions in even‑numbered years. Dr. Edwin Stockton, Jr., served as the national president from 1970 to 1987. Professor Isabel Sparks served as president from 1987 until 1994. The Society became international in 1988. Dr. Elaine Hughes became president in 1994.